Gender Selection – How to Conceive a Boy or Girl
Is gender selection possible? Â Are you dreaming about conceiving a boy? Tractors and mud, overalls and baseball caps? Or maybe you’re thinking pink! Tutus and tap shoes, sugar and spice. Whether you hope to conceive a boy or girl, there are lots of fun ways to try to improve your chances of getting pregnant with the boy (or girl!) of your dreams.
In Getting Pregnant :: The Basics, we covered the biology of your future baby’s gender.Â Your egg will contribute an X chromosome and your partner’s sperm will contribute either another X chromosome (resulting in a baby girl) or a Y chromosome (resulting in a baby boy).Â Gender selection theories revolve around the idea thatÂ X sperm and Y sperm differ slightly.Â By altering your and/or your partner’s body’s chemistry, changing baby makin’ positions, and timingÂ conception, you may be able to encourage the “right” sperm to fertilize your egg and increase your chances of choosing your baby’sÂ gender.
Keep in mind that it’s impossible to be 100% sure that you’ll conceive one genderÂ or the other without medical intervention. The best and fastest way to get pregnant is to try to conceiveÂ Â every day around ovulation.Â Be aware that if you are trying to conceive a particular gender, you may delay becoming pregnant.
How to Get Pregnant With a Boy :: XY
One of the most famous authors on the subject of gender selection is Landrum B. Shettles, who first published the book, How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby in 1971. According to Shettles’ theory, Y sperm are faster but more fragile then X sperm. Y sperm are more likely to thrive in a less acidic environment.Â To take advantage of these properties and conceive a boy:
1.Â Have sex as close to the hours of ovulation as possible to give the faster Y sperm a chance to “beat” the X sperm to your egg. To learn how to predict your ovulation, get to know your signs of fertility.
2.Â Abstain from having sex on the days before you ovulate. If you have had sex prior to ovulation, there may be X sperm that have outlived the more fragile Y sperm already waiting to fertilize the newly released egg.Â Stop having sex two days before you expect to ovulate to conceive a boy.
3.Â To make your vagina more alkaline (the opposite of acidic, which is a bad environment for Y sperm), have an orgasm during sex!Â Light some candles, take your time, and create a romantic environment. Making sex enjoyable for you will help you conceive a boy.
4.Â Deeper penetration places his sperm closer to your egg, perhaps giving the faster swimming Y sperm a leg (or tail?) up. One of the best sexual positions for deep penetration is rear-entryÂ in which your partner enters your vagina from behind you (commonly referred to as “doggy” style).
5.Â Ask your partner to switch to boxer style underwear. Keeping his testicles cooler may favor Y sperm. Ask him to avoid very hot showers, the sauna at the gym, and spas to help you conceive a boy.
6.Â Dr. Shettles also recommends a strong cup of coffee for your partner before sex. It’s unclear exactly how this helps, but the caffeine may give your partner a shot (espresso, perhaps?) at helping you to conceive a boy.
7.Â Eat the “Conceive a Boy” diet. Salty and alkaline foods high in potassium, along with the elimination of dairy, may aid you in conceiving a boy. Some examples include:Â Iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, peaches, pears, V8 juice, salty meats and chicken (but not fish), white rice, apples, bananas, potatoes, cherries, zucchini, dried apricots, and dates.
8. Check out our blog post on sex positions to conceive a baby boy.
How to Get Pregnant With a Girl :: XX
To conceive the baby girl of your dreams, apply the principles of the Shettles theory to give the X chromosome sperm the best chance of fertilizing your egg. X sperm are slower then Y sperm, but more robust. X sperm are more tolerant of an acidic environment. To take advantage of these properties and conceive a girl:
1. Have sex two and a half to three days before you expect to ovulate. The X sperm will travel more slowly up your Fallopian tubes, but they will outlive the Y sperm.Â By having sex a few days prior to ovulation, you’ll have X sperm ready and waiting when the egg is released from your ovary.
2. Stop having sex two days before ovulation and don’t resume until several days after you ovulate to conceive a girl.
3. Shallow penetration (particularly at the time of ejaculation) may help you conceive a girl. The acidic conditions at the entrance of your vagina will eliminate many of the Y sperm giving a greater advantage to the X sperm.Â Missionary position sex is best for conceiving a girl.
4. Dr. Shettles recommends that the female avoid orgasm when trying to conceive a girl. Your orgasm makes your vagina more alkaline, which favors the Y sperm. Also, the vaginal contractions that accompany orgasm move the sperm farther up your body faster, which also favors the Y sperm. Save your orgasms for recreational sex when you are trying to conceive a girl.
5. A diet high in calcium and magnesium but low in potassium and salt may help you to conceive a girl. Examples of foods in the “Conceive a Girl” diet include: Milk, yogurt, rice, low salt meats, unsalted nuts, citrus fruits (excluding pineapple), and fresh berries.